Full Governing Body
The Governing Body needs to take a strategic role, act as a critical friend to the School and be accountable for its decisions. Its role should include:
- Setting aims and objectives
- Agree, monitor and review policies
- Agree, monitor and review targets and priorities
- Setting committees
- Setting the priority and direction for each committee
- Setting/altering delegated responsibilities
- Makes final decision on all committees’ advisory responsibilities
- Debates and completes its non-delegated responsibilities
- Acts as a forum for each governor to be fully appraised of each of the committees’ work and the strategic overview
Terms of Reference
- To agree constitutional matters*, including procedures where the Governing Body has discretion
- To recruit new members as vacancies arise and to appoint new governors* where appropriate
- To hold at least three Governing Body meetings a year*
- To appoint or remove the Chair and Vice Chair*
- To appoint or remove a Clerk to the Governing Body*
- To establish the committees of the Governing Body and their terms of reference*
- To appoint the Chair of any committee (if not delegated to the committee itself)
- To appoint or remove a Clerk to each committee*
- To suspend a governor*
- To decide which functions of the Governing Body will be delegated to committees, groups and individuals*
- To receive reports from any individual or committee to whom a decision has been delegated and to consider whether any further action by the Governing Body is necessary*
- To approve the first formal budget plan of the financial year
- To keep the Health and Safety Policy and its practice under review and to make revisions where appropriate
- To review the delegation arrangements annually*
- Any items which individual governing bodies may wish to include
*these matters cannot be delegated to either a committee or an individual
Membership – As per the Instrument of Governance
The School has agreed Terms of Reference for a
Each year the Governing Body reviews and adopts the Terms of Reference for these committees.
Therefore the scheme of delegation to a Finance and Premises or Staff and Curriculum committee is not enacted and the full governing body assumes the responsibility of those committees.
However, at Eastergate Primary School we operate as a full governing body, meeting at least 9 times per year. We do not set individual committees, with the exception of the Pay Committee.
Pay Committee Terms of Reference
- Meet the aims of the whole school pay policy and apply its criteria.
- To meet prior to 30th November of each year.
- Ensure that all staff receive their full contractual and statutory entitlements.
- Review the whole school pay policy annually, taking account of national and local developments.
- Consider recommendations from the headteacher about what awards should be given on the basis of policy and budget.
- Ensure that awards are made fairly, taking full account of equal opportunities.
- Review the School Group Size and Individual School Range and record in writing the reasons.
- Recommend to the Finance & Premises Committee what amount should be set aside from the school’s budget for the discretionary pay awards.
- Establish the criteria to be used for performance review which may lead to the award or additional points for teaching staff.
- Establish the criteria for the award of honorarium payments to non-teaching staff.
- Ensure that the review of the Leadership Group’s salaries, including the headteacher, is informed by the outcomes of their performance review and that the outcome of the review is made known to the members of the Leadership Group
- Appoint at least two non-staff governors to undertake the headteacher’s appraisal annually.
- Receive the recommendations of the headteacher in relation to teachers on the upper pay spine and take appropriate action in line with the agreed criteria.
- Ensure that all members of the teaching staff receive annual statements of salary.
- Approve policies deemed relevant to pay related matters.
The chair of the Pay Committee is Father Martin Powell